Okay, it’s much easier said than done but you might as well start now…
You’re probably thinking what is she on about?! So recently I’ve been speaking to a lot of my friends that seem to be doing well for themselves and I asked them how. When I say this I don’t mean money wise, as in they’re happy within themselves and doing what they love. It’s possible and I wanted to know how…
Each and everyone one of those people told me the main step was learning to control your mind. I was literally sat there like ‘fuck you mean’…
But then after going over it a few times, they told me that if you think positively and drill out most/if not all the negative ones you will go a lot further. Believe me it’s hard, but learning to realise what is negative is a start. See now I’m a bit of a loose cannon so for example if I get used to someone often and they stop talking to me or I just don’t hear from them as often I start thinking bad thoughts. When I heard my friends, I was literally sat thinking, ‘WOW, I waste a lot of time over-thinking and thinking negatively’.
So, as of last week I decided to try and train my brain to be a little more positive and stop feeding into my negative thoughts…As you can imagine it has worked! That’s not to say it isn’t hard, but you have to think ‘What will make me happier?’. Studies show that there are general factors that will improve if you think positively:-
- Increased life span
- Lower rates of depression
- Lower levels of distress
- Greater resistance to the common cold
- Better well-being
- Better coping skills during hardships and times of stress
- You’ll improve your outlook of the future
There are 4 things you can start today to improve your positive thinking:-
- Prepare your environment – who are you with the majority of the time, do they have an impact on your positivity? Surround yourself with uplifting quotes/reminders. Join something you love doing, make it a hobby.
- Start small – Never dive in the deep end as they say, start off small so that it becomes a habit.
- Take note of 1 positive moment everyday – watch your positivity manifest!
- Try to meditate – 2 minutes of positive thinking for your day, week, month, year or your whole life is more than enough everyday and will help you.
I hope this helps someone out there today!